Mrs. Milligan's Message ~ 09/08/18
Mrs. Milligan’s Message ~ 09/08/18
It was a great opening day at Southside. Students were greeted at the door by their teachers clapping them in. It was wonderful to have the student energy back in the building. First, I would like to thank you for sharing your children with us this year. Next, I have a few updates and some information for you as we move through the next few weeks.
- Your child will be coming home with forms that you need to fill out and update. Please get these forms back to us as soon as possible.
- Aspen: Aspen will be an invaluable tool for you this year. You will be able to see your child’s attendance, grades, and assignments throughout the school year. Please be sure to fill out the Aspen Portal sign up form, if you have not already.
- Updated information: It is imperative that you keep your phone numbers, address, and emergency contact numbers up to date. Please call the main office to update this information if it changes during the school year.
- Websites: You can gather valuable information about upcoming events, activities, sports, etc. by logging into our website at http://southside.mansd.org/
- Cell Phones: Due to negative impact of cell phone use on learning and behavior we are going to be diligent in enforcing the cell phone policy this school year. I am asking for your support in helping your child to follow the expectations below:
Cell phones and headphones will not be allowed out in the school setting without an educational purpose cleared by administration. This includes hallways. If students do not have pockets to keep their phones in, they must keep them in their locker. They will not be allowed to have them out on desks or tables. If a student needs to make an emergency call they may use the phone in the classroom or have a pass to use the phone in the office. You can reach your student, in the case of an emergency, by calling the main office.
Students will be given a first warning by the teacher to put the phone out of sight. If the student has the phone out again, the teacher will ask the student for the phone, label it with the student’s name, and put it in a secure location until they can bring it to an administrator. If the student refuses to give the teacher the phone, administration will be called.
Students will be allowed to use them in the cafeteria if they are down flat on the table as photos and video are not permitted in school.
- First offense-phone returned at the end of the day to the student.
- Second offense- Parents will be called to pick up the phone.
- Third Offense- Student will need to turn the phone into the office each morning and will retrieve it at the end of the day or not be allowed to bring the phone back to school.
We thank you in advance for your support of our school and your children. Please do not hesitate to contact your child’s team if you have questions or concerns.
Have a great evening,
Ms. Jessica Milligan, Acting Principal